Aloe vera has to be one of the best products to use on your hair. The benefits of aloe vera on hair and scalp can simply not be over-praised!
Aloe vera has many benefits for your hair and scalp. It is gentle enough to use on even the most sensitive of scalps and will cleanse and moisturize your hair fully. It has been reported to reduce dandruff and lessen frizz. Its ability to moisturize your hair and reduce tangling makes it a must-have in your No Poo shampoo.
If you are interested in what aloe vera can do to improve the condition of your hair and scalp then continue reading to find out more.
Benefits Of Aloe Vera On Hair And Scalp
Aloe vera is a plant that can be grown in almost all environments. It is a succulent that stores its water in its spiky, serrated leaves.
In addition to using it on your scalp and hair, you may be interested to know that it can also be applied straight from the leaf to the skin to help heal burns, insect bites, and skin problems.
You may well be thinking if it is good for skin, is aloe vera good for hair too? Or, is aloe vera good for scalp conditions?
Below are the top reasons to use aloe vera for your hair and scalp (sources 1,2):
- Moisturising: Aloe vera provides moisturizing benefits to your hair. It acts as a humectant, retaining moisture in your hair.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Aloe soothes an irritated scalp.
- Dandruff: There is much anecdotal evidence to suggest that using aloe vera will reduce or even eliminate your dandruff.
- Frizz: With the humectant and soothing properties of aloe vera you should find that your hair is less likely to frizz.
- Oil: Aloe vera used in a wash will remove much of the excess oil without stripping your hair.
- Clarifying: It can remove product build-up to get back to your natural hair.
- Hair Growth: With an improved scalp condition it is likely that your hair will grow to its optimum, which may find you experiencing hair growth like you have not witnessed before.
- Hair Loss: Anecdotally, hair loss is reduced.
- Curl Definition: Those with loose curls find that aloe vera is the only thing needed to keep their curls defined and beautiful.
- Protein: Aiding hair growth and adding strength to your hair.
Above are just some of the benefits. Try it on your hair and judge for yourself!
Where To Buy Aloe Vera Gel For Hair
Look out for these aloe vera products to take your hair to the next level:
1. Seven Minerals
Pure aloe gel, organic, clear, and with no sticky residue.
2. Earth’s Daughter
Pure aloe from Texas.
3. Green Leaf
An aloe vera that can be sprayed directly onto your hair and left.
These are all great products that you can use to improve your hair, scalp, and skin.
How To Apply Aloe Vera On Hair
Not only is aloe vera versatile in its use, but it is also able to be applied in many ways.
So if you want to know can we directly apply aloe vera on hair, then you can rest assured you can, and that you will be in good company.
The most popular ways to use aloe are as follows:
- Mask: Combining aloe gel with other ingredients to make a mask.
- Spray: Spraying directly onto hair as a leave-in conditioner, or restorative after spending time in the sun.
- Wash: Many recipes use aloe to boost the washes’ moisturizing and scalp soothing properties.
- Directly: Apply directly to the scalp and leave for 10 minutes before rinsing, this is said to improve hair growth.
2 tablespoons should be sufficient for most recipes, and less if being incorporated into another recipe (source 1).
Side Effects Of Aloe Vera On Hair
It would be very unusual for aloe vera to have side effects.
However, as with most things, some people are prone to experiencing negative effects when using new products.
If you are using aloe vera for the first time, try smearing some gel on the inside of your wrist and leaving it for several hours. If no reaction occurs you should be able to use aloe vera free from worry.
The most likely side effects are as follows (source 1):
- Mild itching
- Hair dryness
However, if you experience the following reactions you will need urgent medical assistance:
- Difficulty breathing
- Facial swelling
Can I Use Aloe Vera Gel On My Hair Everyday?
Aloe is a wonderful moisturizer and has many uses. However, as with most things, everything is best in moderation.
Aloe vera can be used every day but will possibly cause damage to your hair in the long run.
Hygral fatigue can be caused by over-conditioning; using Aloe Vera daily may cause this.
Can Aloe Vera Cause Hair Loss?
There is no scientific evidence to show that aloe vera causes hair loss.
However, whilst there is anecdotal evidence that aloe vera helps hair growth, there is no solid scientific evidence for this either.
If you are experiencing hair loss straight after starting to use aloe vera it may be wise to remove it from your hair care regime for a short while to see if the problem clears up.
How Does Aloe Vera Help Your Scalp?
If you suffer from a dry or irritated scalp then aloe vera could help.
If you experience dandruff you may find that aloe combats this so effectively that dandruff becomes your hair history!
Aloe vera helps your scalp because (source 1):
- Itching: Aloe Vera can help soothe irritated scalps.
- Inflammation: Any inflammation is often reduced after an application of aloe vera.
- pH: Aloe vera can redress the pH balance of your scalp.
- Anti-Fungal: Dandruff and other fungal infections can be lessened by using aloe vera.
- Anti-Pruritus: Psoriasis causing an excessive number of skin cells leading to scaliness and itching can be relieved and kept at bay by using aloe vera for many sufferers.
- Seborrhea: Aloe vera removes excess oils from your hair, and can reduce the amount of oil produced over time.
Does Rubbing Aloe Vera On Your Scalp Help Hair Grow?
There is anecdotal evidence that rubbing aloe vera gel directly onto your scalp can improve the growth rate of your hair.
This could be because:
- Circulation: Massaging your scalp promotes the blood circulation to your scalp, and thereby to your hair follicles.
- Exfoliation: Massaging aloe vera into your scalp can have the side effect of exfoliating the scalp. Removing the dead skin cells and dirt can make your scalp more conducive to an environment for hair growth.
- Scalp Health: As you are paying more attention to your scalp, it is likely to become more healthy as a result and be the optimum hair environment.
2-3 times per week of rubbing 2 tablespoons into your scalp has been recorded as improving the rate of hair growth.
However, our hair grows in set stages:
Aloe vera will not change these stages, but with a healthy scalp, it may be that more of the follicles that exist grow hair, therefore making it appear that aloe vera helps hair growth.
Aloe Vera For Hair Thickening
Aloe vera is unlikely to help make your hair thicker.
However, as aloe vera can help your scalp become a more pleasant environment for each and every hair to grow, your hair may appear thicker as there are more individual hairs – the individual hairs themselves are not thicker.
There are many ingredients that have been anecdotally shown to improve hair thickness. One of these is castor oil.
Aloe vera can be added to most other ingredients to achieve any improvement you need in your hair.
How To Make Aloe Vera Gel For Hair Growth
Aloe vera can be used as a neat gel (2 tablespoons approx.) for twice-weekly application to the scalp. Leaving the gel on for 10 minutes before rinsing should begin to show benefits within a few weeks.
Combining aloe vera with ginger juice has been said to promote hair growth.
Try the recipe below and see how it helps your hair:
- Aloe Vera (½ cup)
- Ginger Juice (¼ cup)
- Place ingredients in blender.
- Blend until combined.
- Place into a spray bottle and spray over the scalp.
- Massage for at least 5 minutes.
- Rinse out or leave in overnight before rinsing/washing.
A honey and aloe vera wash will help promote growth, which will in turn give you the appearance of thicker hair:
- Aloe (4 tbsps)
- Olive/Argan oil (2 tbsps)
- Honey (2 tbsps)
- Mix the ingredients.
- Section hair.
- Smooth on mixture into each section.
- Massage scalp.
- Cover with a shower cap or towel.
- Leave for 30 minutes.
- Rinse out and use a No Poo shampoo to wash out the residue.
Both of these recipes contain natural ingredients that will improve the health of your hair.
There are many benefits of aloe vera on hair and scalp. It is not only moisturising, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory, but can reduce dandruff for many.
Is It Ok To Put Aloe Vera On Scalp?
It is quite ok to put aloe vera straight onto your scalp. If fact, many recipes require that you do just that. Always patch test prior to use.