Most people know that aloe vera can be used as a soothing gel but does aloe vera clean hair?
In this article we answer this question, but also explain how you introduce aloe vera into your hair care regime.
The No Poo movement is passionate about moving away from traditional commercial shampoos and embracing the cleaning power of natural ingredients. Aloe vera is a popular ingredient as it has many positive properties. Apart from anecdotally increasing hair growth rates, aloe vera can soothe an irritated scalp and combat dandruff.
Aloe vera has many amazing properties that can help your scalp and hair look their best.
Keep reading to find out what aloe vera can do for you.
Does Aloe Vera Gel Clean Hair?
Aloe vera is a plant, and the gel that we use to wash our hair can be harvested from the leaves.
If you can provide the right climate you can even grow this impressive plant at home and have a never-ending supply of aloe vera for every ailment.
Using aloe vera on dirty hair can help cleanse both the hair itself and the surrounding scalp.
This is because aloe vera contains special enzymes that have the ability to remove dirt and excess grease from your hair.
Aloe vera gel keeps your hair clean and healthy, and can even protect your hair from external pollutants.
Benefits Of Aloe Vera Gel On Hair
Aloe vera is so versatile that you can use it in almost any way you choose.
Read on to find out how aloe vera can help your hair (source 1):
Aloe Vera For Hair Loss
There has long been anecdotal evidence to suggest that using aloe vera on your hair and scalp can improve the rate at which your hair grows.
The enzymes contained in the aloe vera plant are successful at removing dirt, debris, and oil, from your hair.
The benefits of aloe vera on hair overnight illustrate how gentle aloe vera is.
There are not many products that can be left in close contact with your hair and scalp for such long periods of time. Aloe vera however shows positive results.
If you have dry and/or damaged hair then aloe vera should be your go-to product.
Not only will it soothe your scalp but it will nourish your hair and give it a new lease of life.
The anti-inflammatory effects of aloe vera have long made it a popular choice for wound treatment.
This same effect can be used to improve the health of your scalp, and therefore lead to healthier and shinier hair.
With its ability to improve the pH of your scalp, and the vitamins within, aloe vera has often been claimed as the best option to reduce and even eliminate a scalp prone to dandruff.
Astonishingly, it has been shown that aloe vera can act as UV protection.
This will not only help keep your hair colour bright, but will protect your scalp from sun damage too.
Is Aloe Vera Good For All Hair Types?
It does not matter if you have thick, thin, straight, or curly hair; aloe vera will help improve your hair’s condition.
Curly and natural hair often tends to be dry. Using aloe vera gel can help curly hair because aloe vera acts as a humectant.
As aloe vera gel also contains several vitamins and minerals and soothing properties, there is almost nothing that aloe vera cannot help with!
How To Use Aloe Vera On Hair
Depending upon what you are trying to achieve, there are different ways to use your aloe vera gel.
For homemade shampoo recipes, aloe vera is often added to other ingredients, however, the recipe below shows how aloe vera virtually single-handedly can improve the health of your hair.
For simply cleaning your hair, follow the instructions below:
- Source Aloe Vera: Harvest aloe vera from the leaves of your plant, or buy online, or from your local health shop.
- Mix Ingredients: Mix one tablespoon of gel with 1 tbsp of baking soda in 1 cup of boiling water, and add a couple of vitamin E capsules continuously stirring until dissolved.
- Dampen Hair: Use warm, not hot, water to thoroughly rinse your hair.
- Section: Section your hair so that you can clean every strand.
- Apply Aloe To Hair: Pour a little of your aloe vera gel mix onto each strand of hair.
- Massage: Massage the gel mix into your scalp and hair, making sure each strand is covered.
- Leave: Leave for a minute or two and rinse with warm water until the ‘slipperiness’ of the aloe vera is not present.
Once your hair dries naturally, or with the aid of a cotton sheet, you will notice that your hair is now totally moisturised and shiny.
Can I Use Aloe Vera Gel On My Hair Everyday?
As aloe vera is natural and so gentle on your hair, it is generally safe to use every day. However, it is normally thought best to limit its use to two or three times per week.
Although aloe vera is wonderful at gently removing dirt, debris, and build-up on your hair, using it too often might lead to build-up itself.
Individuals with curly hair should not overdo the application of aloe vera, or indeed many other shampoos as hygral fatigue can lead to hair breakage and hair loss (source 1).
Side Effects Of Aloe Vera On Hair
Side effects from aloe vera are unusual, however, as with all natural (and synthetic) products it is likely that aloe vera will work better for some people than others.
If you experience any side effects, simply stop using aloe vera gel and opt for one of the many No Poo alternatives, to continue your hair cleaning journey.
Although aloe vera can be a positive addition to your hair care regime, there are a few potential side effects that you should be aware of.
The main side effects to be aware of are listed below:
With any new addition to your hair or skincare routine, always carry out a patch test 24 hours before use.
If your skin turns patchy or swells, discontinue use.
Contact medical personnel if symptoms remain or if you experience pain or difficulty breathing.
Some people find that aloe vera can lead to increased hair breakage.
This could be from using aloe vera too frequently.
Can aloe vera cause hair loss is a question that pops up now and again.
Whilst rare, aloe vera may increase hair loss in some individuals so use it carefully.
Reducing the amount of aloe vera gel within some recipes may ensure you gain the benefits of the gel, without any negatives.
DIY Aloe Vera Hair Mask
DIY aloe vera hair masks are very popular as aloe vera is so gentle and can help with many scalp and hair problems.
Below are two hair mask recipes that use aloe vera to combat frequent problems:
1. Dry hair
The aloe vera below is ideal if you are suffering from dry hair:
- 2 tbsp organic aloe vera gel
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Mix the ingredients together.
- Smooth through hair concentrating on the ends with only a little applied to the scalp.
- Comb through. This will make sure that all the hair is covered and will bring more mixture to the scalp area.
- Cover hair with a shower cap.
- Wrap your head with a towel to keep in the heat and help the oil and aloe to penetrate to the center of the hair.
- Leave hair mask on for up to an hour before washing it out with warm, not hot water.
If your hair is dry and your scalp is irritated, this mask will replenish moisture and the vitamins contained within the aloe will strengthen your hair.
This aloe vera hair mask will help eliminate dandruff:
- 4tbs aloe vera gel
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp local honey
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Starting at the scalp, smooth the mixture over your hair.
- Massage through the scalp.
- Comb gel through hair.
- Cover your head with a shower cap and towel.
- Leave the aloe vera hair mask on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse out with warm water
Both aloe vera and apple cider vinegar have dandruff-fighting properties and the honey will leave your hair soft and silky.
Tips For Using Aloe Vera On Hair
Using aloe vera to improve your hair is quite easy as it is a very forgiving natural product. There is very little that you can get wrong!
See below for how to get the best out of aloe vera:
- Grow Your Own: If you can, try growing your own aloe vera plant. As with most things, fresh is best.
- Storage: Aloe vera leaf keeps in the fridge for two weeks. Alternatively, you could freeze the gel in ice cube trays, which last up to 6 months. This means it will be ready to use at any time.
- Use: Aloe vera, with all it’s benefits can be added to most hair recipes or used on it’s own.
Aloe vera can be incorporated into hair rinses, washes, and masks, so it is a very versatile ingredient (source 1).
Looking into the question does aloe vera gel clean hair has shown that not only does aloe vera effectively clean hair, but it also has many other benefits for your hair.
Aloe vera’s anti-inflammatory effects, and vitamin-laden qualities, help many people calm their sensitive scalps, and strengthen weakened hair.
How To Use Aloe Vera Gel For Hair Growth
Although no scientific studies prove that aloe vera promotes hair growth, anecdotal evidence exists. Aloe vera is good for the scalp, and a healthy scalp promotes and sustains hair growth.