If you are looking for inspiration on how to clean your hair with Rhassoul clay, then this article will help you decide upon the best method for you and your hair.
Rhassoul clay contains everything your hair and scalp need to be healthy and look great. It is a natural mineral clay, mined in Morocco, that contains saponins for mild lathering, and natural silica to remove dirt and grease. The clay is easy to prepare and use; a little goes a long way, providing your hair with many trace elements.
There are so many benefits to using Rhassoul clay, and these are not only limited to using it on your hair.
Read on to discover the best ways to clean your hair with Rhassoul clay and the benefits it can bring.
How To Clean Your Hair With Rhassoul Clay
What Is Rhassoul Clay?
Rhassoul clay is a natural mineral clay mined in North Africa
For hundreds of years North African women have been using the locally mined, natural mineral clay to keep their hair in a healthy, manageable condition.
This is a great find on your No Poo journey for the following reasons:
- Natural Silica: Silica is effectively sand. Its abrasive qualities strip the dirt and excess oil without damaging the hair.
- Saponins: These help the product have a small lathering/soapy texture making it pleasant to use.
- Trace Elements: Magnesium, potassium, calcium, iron, and lithium are all contained within.
- Clarifying: Using rhassoul clay as a clarifying wash or hair mask can remove product build-up.
- Nourishing: Leaves your hair nourished due to its mineral and trace elements.
- Softening: Your hair will feel softer with regular use.
- Curls Definition: Those with curls are likely to notice that their curls are more defined and less prone to frizz.
- Negatively Charged: This means that the rhassoul clay draws out impurities.
- Simple: Just add water and you are ready to go.
- Versatile: Can be used as a wash or a mask, both for your hair, and your face.
Rhassoul clay can be used on its own, or with the addition of other hair-benefiting products/ingredients.
If you are wondering does rhassoul clay cleanse hair on its own, then rest assured that you can use just the clay to provide superior cleansing.
As the pH is above that of your natural hair and scalp you may find that you need to add a conditioner to the ends of your hair.
There are a variety of ways to clean your hair with rhassoul clay, including the following:
1. Rhassoul Clay And Conditioner
If you use conditioner with rhassoul clay, make sure you use a low poo or No Poo conditioner on the ends of your hair, after washing.
2. Rhassoul Clay And Vinegar
Are you wanting to use rhassoul clay and vinegar?
If so, rinse your hair with apple cider vinegar (ACV) to keep your hair shiny, after washing your hair.
3. Rhassoul Clay And Shampoo
Here’s how to clean your hair with rhassoul clay and shampoo:
Rhassoul clay is its own shampoo/cleanser for your hair. You do not need to use a separate shampoo when using this clay
How Do You Wash Your Hair With Rhassoul Clay?
Now that you know a little more about the benefits, you may be asking, how do you wash your hair with rhassoul clay?
Don’t worry, it is simple!
- Rhassoul Clay
- Mix 1-2 tablespoons with the same amount of water.
- Add more water/clay until the consistency is like a cake batter, not too liquid, but still easy to spread.
- Section your hair.
- Add a small amount of clay to the roots of all sections.
- Massage your scalp and the hair roots for several minutes.
- Add more clay mixture if desired to the scalp.
- Concentrate on the scalp and roots and draw down a small portion through the rest of your hair.
- Leave clay on your hair for 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse out thoroughly, making sure you remove all the clay from your scalp.
- Use cold water for your final rinse and air dry.
This is the basic way to wash your hair with Rhassoul clay.
If you would like to add oils to the mixture you can, and/or use an apple cider vinegar rinse before the final rinse to increase the shine of your hair.
Where To Buy Rhassoul Clay
If you are lost for ideas on where to buy Rhassoul clay powder, try these:
1. Fatima’s Garden
2. Bare Essentials Living
This is a triple pack of bentonite, rhassoul, and green sea clay powders
Rhassoul Clay Hair Wash Recipe
If you are not sure how to use rhassoul clay for hair, then this rhassoul clay hair wash recipe should start you off on your clay adventure:
- Rhassoul Clay: 3 tablespoons
- Lemon Juice: 1 tablespoon
- Liquid Honey: 1 tablespoon
- Warm Water
- In a non-metallic bowl mix the clay with the lemon juice and honey.
- Wait a minute or two to ensure that all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add water to create the desired consistency.
- Apply to sectioned hair and thoroughly massage into your scalp and roots.
- Wait for 5 minutes and rinse thoroughly.
If your hair is particularly dry then adding oil to the ends before washing may be beneficial.
However, if you follow the instructions above, the lengths of the hair will be washed as the clay mix moves through the hair during the rinsing process.
There is no need to put the clay mix through to the ends of your hair at the beginning of the process (source 1).
How To Make a Rhassoul Clay Hair Mask
A rhassoul hair mask is simply a slightly thicker consistency of mixture, and left on longer than a normal rhassoul wash.
If your hair is lacking moisture, try this rhassoul clay and oil recipe for your next hair mask:
- Rhassoul Clay
- Castor Oil
- Argan Oil
- Mix 2 tbsps rhassoul clay with 1 tsp of castor oil, and 1 tsp argan oil.
- Section your hair and spread the thick mixture through each and every strand of hair.
- Massage into the roots.
- Place hair in a shower cap or wrap in a towel for 30 minutes.
- Rinse through, using cold water for the last rinse.
Remember that you should not mix any clay in a metal container, nor with a metal spoon as it alters the negative charge of the clay.
Can You Use Rhassoul Clay Daily?
If you have particularly oily hair, then you can use rhassoul clay more frequently. It all depends upon your scalp and hair needs.
However, using rhassoul clay every day would not be recommended.
Try using a rhassoul wash once per week and increase or decrease the frequency depending upon your hair’s needs.
Once or twice a week should be sufficient to keep your hair clean and hair nourished (source 1).
Can You Use Rhassoul Clay On Color Treated Hair?
There should not be a problem with using Rhassoul clay on color treated hair, however, as with using any new product, a strand test should be carried out at least 24 hours in advance.
This is especially true if you have used a henna-based hair colorant.
What Is The PH Of Rhassoul Clay?
The pH of Rhassoul clay is 6.5-7.5, slightly more alkaline than your hair and scalp.
What Does Rhassoul Clay Smell Like?
Rhassoul clay, as you would expect as a mined clay, smells a little like damp soil.
Rinsing with ACV or rose water can combat this scent, although it is not particularly strong (source 1).
What To Mix With Rhassoul Clay
These are the top 7 ingredients to add to Rhassoul clay:
- Argan oil
- Aloe vera
- Rose water
- Camomile Tea
- Castor Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Does Rhassoul Clay Expire?
Rhassoul clay can be stored in your cupboards for up to 11 years.
Although best made fresh, a Rhassoul clay wash (adding just water) can be put in an airtight container for up to 3 days if you wish to make it ahead of time.
Rhassoul Clay Before And After
If you want to keep a record, and really see how your hair has benefited from Rhassoul clay, try taking pictures at fortnightly intervals.
Is Moroccan Red Clay The Same As Rhassoul Clay?
Rhassoul clay is known by many names, including:
- Moroccan red
- Oxide Clay
These are all names that mean you are buying Rhassoul clay (source 1).
What Is The Difference Between Bentonite Clay And Rhassoul Clay
Apart from being produced in different countries, here are the main differences between bentonite clay and rhassoul clay:
- Sensitivity: Rhassoul creates fewer sensitivity issues than bentonite clay.
- Silky: Rhassoul has a silkier texture than bentonite clay.
- Moisture: Bentonite absorbs more moisture than Rhassoul so is potentially better for some hair types.
- Clarifying: Bentonite would be the recommended first stop for clarifying clay over Rhassoul.
Neither product is better than the other, it depends upon what you need for your hair as to which will suit you better (source 1).
Cleaning your hair with Rhassoul clay is one of the more simple of the No Poo methods. Simply add water and you are ready to go!
With its clarifying and nourishing properties, it is certain to become a staple in your hair care routine.
Rhassoul Clay For Skin
Rhassoul clay is also beneficial for your skin. It is often used as a cleansing face mask for its antioxidant properties.
Rhassoul Clay Face Mask Recipe
Depending upon what ingredients you add to the Rhassoul hair mask, there is absolutely no reason why you cannot also use it as a face mask at the same time.
What Is Rhassoul Clay Called In Hindi?
You will most likely find the product labelled as Rhassoul, although in Hindi, Raisul is also used.
What Is Kaolin Clay?
Kaolin clay is from China, and is a white clay. It can be used on your hair.